Guest Rooms Done Right


So, I spent the weekend home on "The Rock," more commonly referred to as Staten Island, and mostly referenced either as a body-dumping site on Law and Order or in conversations that start with "Wait, doesn't New York City have five boroughs?"

Ah, home sweet home...

But despite the ever-refreshing toxins in the air, I can't help but love it there. This is mostly related to quality time spent with the fam and the fact that my mom is an excellent hostess. Although I no longer have my own bedroom at home, my mom sees to it that I, and any other houseguests, always feel incredibly comfortable. From fresh, clean, high-quality to sheets, to bedside reading and scented candles, Miss Donna L. has got it covered.

So it was apropos that when I went to find some bedside reading (Sorry, Nebokov), I went straight for this month's Veranda which featured a fantastic article from Carolyne Roehm on how to attend to your guest's every need.

Below I've assembled a few helpful tips based on Roehm's advice and my nightmare experiences as a houseguest.


Rule #1: Start with the bed: you can't go wrong with high quality cotton sheets and a duvet. Err on the firm side when it comes to mattresses and pillows, and don't forget to provide an extra quilt or blanket and a pretty retro-inspired fan for ample temperature control.

I kind of think that hand-pressing sheets is a bit overboard, but if you're feeling especially inspired, Roehm recommends taking the sheets out of the drier when they are the teensiest bit damp, spritzing with scented linen water, and pressing the sheets directly on the bed.


Rule #2. Awkward encounters are fun for no one. Think about it. Would you really want to run into a house guest in any of the following situations:

Situation A: 2 a.m.: Nearly assaulting grandma with a blunt-force weapon because you heard a crash downstairs... that actually resulted from her tripping over a stray shoe on a desperate late night quest for water.

Situation B: 4 p.m.: You're slaving over a holiday dinner only to hear your brother-in-law yell that he needs a new roll of toilet paper...and he's been missing for a half hour...and the toilet bowl is a good 5 feet from the door.

Remember these people do not live in your house, they're unfamiliar with the terrain and have no idea where anything is. Provide a carafe filled with water every night, leave extra rolls of toilet paper in full view, place fresh towels and face cloths on their bed in the morning and keep travel-size toiletries in a guestroom drawer.



Rule #3. Go the extra mile. Fresh flowers on a bedside table are always a nice touch, and a room that smells great is definitely a plus. After a stressful day, I like to sprinkle some Santa Maria Novelli rose water on my pillowcase -- it's literally like drifting away on a (super-comfy) bed of roses. And if you're the linen-pressing type, go on and spray some of this on sheets before ironing them; the scent will last even longer.



Want to make it into "best birthday present ever" territory? Leave out a covered plate of home-baked cookies. Your houseguest will love you. For-ever. And ever

In the candle department, one of my ultimate indulgences is a Diptyque candle. Some of my favorite scents are Santal (sandalwood), Figuier (figs) and Geranium Rosa (geraniums/roses). Sadly at $60 a pop, I feel more guilty than relaxed everytime I light one. A more affordable alternative is a Pottery Barn scented candle --quince is a personal favorite.



Rule #4. You're delightful and charming, really. But only between the hours of 8 a.m.-10 p.m. The whole point of staying in someone's home is to spend some quality time with them -- or maybe it's to avoid a stay at the local Motel 6 -- I'm not entirely sure. However, most guests do not want to be around you 24/7, and its even more likely you don't want to be around them the whole day.

Therefore provide some "in-room" entertainment. If possible put a comfy chair and reading light in a cozy corner, or ::gasp:: put a TV in your guest room. I know a lot of people hate the idea of putting TV's in bedrooms, but have you ever visited someone whose idea of an awesome Sunday night is 60 minutes, when, hellooo, Rock of Love bus is on! Some things are just worth aesthetic sacrifices.

If you'd like to read all of Roehm's tips, you can check out the full article here.