From Scratch: Greek Style Part I -- The challenge

(Me, at Agios Nikalaos, while waiting for a ferry to take us over to the Peloponnese peninsula.Thankfully, the boat pictured was NOT the ferry!)

I've decided to try a new little series on my blog, where instead of just posting about other people's work, I can try to use my own imagination a little bit, and show you how I would style a particular room from the ground up. From the inspiration, the the furniture, to accessories....For my first experiment, I decided to take on Greek style.

In the summer of 07, I went on a two-week roadtrip of Greece, and ever since it has become my absolute favorite place in the world. The landscapes, the ruins, the food and even the view from the highway were all breathtaking. I was really inspired by every aspect of Greek culture, and the "decor" I saw there --if you can call it that--was something that greatly influenced me.

As a fan of styling, Greek decor is sort of a challenge for me, as it's about as unstyled as you can get. The main focus is always going to be on the beautiful landscapes outside, and I think Greeks are very mindful of that.

Every summer since my trip, I try to incorporate some reminders of Greece into my apartment, but I always thought it would be nice if I could dedicate a whole room to it . Themes don't usually work well in big, of often-used rooms, so I decided to work on creating a Greece-inspired guest room. (Unfortunately with a grand total of two rooms in real life, this will have to remain a Web-based experiment.)

My main guidelines are as follows:
  • Using the classic Santorini palette of blue and white.
  • Keeping the furnishings spare and functional.
  • Respecting Greek culture and history, while bringing in some modern elements.
Over the next week, I'll share my virtual "inspiration board," furniture choices, art picks and accessories...stay tuned.